Heart disease is the number one killer of people in the United States and Europe, and most people don't realize that they have it until it's too late. Finally, a book addressing actual caloric needs for different bodies and different lifestyles, illustrating the differences between good &  bad cholesterol and where it comes from, as well as offering delicious recipes for cholesterol-free, heart healthy dishes. 

Our pages are created to provide medically accurate information that is intended to complement, not replace or substitute in any way the services of your physician. Any application of the recommendations set forth in the following pages is at the reader's discretion and sole risk. Before undergoing medical treatment, you should consult with your doctor, who can best assess your individual needs, symptoms and treatment. 


CHOLESTEROL

Cholesterol is a soft, waxy, fat-like substance found in all animal tissues. 
Cholesterol is needed to produce hormones, vitamin D and bile acids (which help digest fat). If you understand some facts about cholesterol, it will help you to keep your cholesterol levels within the healthy range. There is a difference between the cholesterol you eat and the cholesterol in your blood.
Ideal blood cholesterol level is less than 5.2 mmol/L.

When your blood cholesterol level is too high, cholesterol, along with other substances, tends to deposit inside arteries. This is called atherosclerosis. These deposits can obstruct blood flow and cause a heart attack or stroke.

Dietary cholesterol is the cholesterol we get from eating animal foods. Meat, fish, poultry and dairy products all contain cholesterol.

Blood cholesterol is a natural part of our blood fats. About 80% of the cholesterol in our blood comes from our liver and the remaining 20% comes from our food. 


Many people think that just watching or avoid cholesterol in foods will prevent high blood cholesterol and hearth disease. The best way to reduce the amount of cholesterol our body makes is to reduce the total amount of fat we eat-especialy saturated and partially hydrogenated fats.

We now know that limiting cholesterol is not as important as watching our daily dietary fat intake.
It is just as important for you to limit the high cholesterol foods in your diet as well as reduce the total fat content of your diet. High cholesterol foods include egg yolks, liver, kidney, shrimp and fish roe. 

TRIGLYCERIDES

This is another type of fat found in the blood and body tissues. Triglyceride is made in the liver when excess calories are consumed from sugar, fat, and alcohol. Calories not used immediately by the tissues are converted to triglycerides and transported to fat cells for storage. 
Ideal blood triglyceride levels are less than 2.3 mmol/L

LIPOPROTEIN

A combination in the blood consisting of lipid (fat) and protein molecules bound together. Since all fats, including cholesterol do not dissolve in the blood, they must circulate in the form of lipoproteins. There are two types of lipoproteins which we are concerned about, the High Density and the Low Density Lipoproteins.

HIGH-DENSITY LIPOPROTEINS: HDL's "GOOD"

These are durable fat-carrying protein compounds that actually cary excess cholesterol to the liver for processing and elimination from the body in bile. It is the presumed function which may explain the role of high density lipoproteins as protective against the development of atherosclerosis. 
A value of 1.80 has 1/2 the average risk of heart attack.
A value of 0.90 has twice the average risk of heart attack.

LOW - DENSITY LIPOPROTEINS:  LDL's  "BAD"

These lipoproteins carry most of the cholesterol in your body. These are less stable and more likely to break apart and deposit cholesterol in the blood vessels, which can lead to atherosclerosis. An elevated LDL cholesterol level is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease.
A value of less than 3.4 is desirable.
Find Out More About Cholesterol And You

Google